Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Consulting the Magic 8 Ball to Make New Year's Predictions


In 2015, I begin my 65th year on this earth and my husband completes his 75th year.  Between the two of us, we have 140 years of history and memories. Insignificant in the realm of universal time but not bad by human standards. Our lifetimes pretty much overlap although he has that whole 40's decade that I cannot relate to. Looking back, my husband and I have a treasure trove of cultural icons and symbols that connect us.  We both can remember the toys of the 50's and the crazy new fads and fashions of the 60's.

Of course, we remember the tremendously popular Magic 8 Ball which was a toy first introduced in the 1950's.  I remember getting a Magic 8 Ball as a Christmas present and spending hours with it as it told me the answers to the questions I had about the future.  That little cultural icon is emblematic of the "magical thinking" a lot of us had in the 1950's and 60's as we sought accessible answers to an increasingly complex world.

So what does 2015 hold for us?  Will we be happy? Will there be world peace?  Ah, ask the Magic 8 Ball.  The answers you'll get probably are just as good as any other predictions out there.

Happy New Year!

.

2 comments:

  1. Ha, ha. Well said. Who knows what will come.
    Only the Magic 8 Ball knows for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Vicki. Do I hear a brief sigh behind your post? I've been sighing a lot lately. I relate to your mentioning the 50s and 60s twice. Those were our times of belief and satisfaction in the small things. With all the 21st century expansion of what we know, perhaps we've come to overlook that satisfaction.

    ReplyDelete