Monday, December 29, 2014

Look who came to visit me this morning

All the finches and jays near the bird feeders were in alert mode making quite a fuss. Then I saw it...

a Great Horned Owl sitting on my fence.


He (or she) was about 20 inches tall and quite unafraid as I got in close to take a picture.

They breed and nest in January or February.  I suspect it was looking for a mouse, squirrel or bunny that live in the natural park behind my house.

I was glad my kitties were safely inside.  I lost one kitty to an owl or coyote in the mountains where we used to live.  I have seen a Great Honed Owl in-flight carrying a full size rabbit in Estes Park, Colorado.

This is the first time I have seen a Great Horned Owl since living in New Mexico.  I have heard their calls at night when they are usually active.  But this was about 8AM in the morning.






1 comment:

  1. Not something a person expects to be around a bird feeder..... seeking opportunity

    ReplyDelete