Monday, August 29, 2016

So today, this happened....

Post for July 8, 2016

I am on vacation.  I am in beautiful Breckenridge, Colorado for a week.  It is heaven. I am with my husband and a couple of friends from Maine.







I got up early this morning to walk.  One of our guests is watching the TV.   A peaceful march held in downtown Dallas the evening before, protesting the deaths of two black men by police in Baton Rouge, Louisiana and Minnesota, was the scene of five police officers killed by a sniper.  It is crushing news and it makes me very sad to see the violence and hate consuming our society.

I make the coffee as the "breaking news alert-themed" broadcast on Fox News brings on commentator after commentator to offer snap conclusions about the killings....a conservative judge who regularly appears, an ex-police chief from NYC, and one conservative politician after another -- they all blame the Black Lives Matter movement, President Obama, Muslim extremists...blah, blah...blah...like pouring gasoline on a fire, these commentators do absolutely nothing to heal our Nation.   I want none of this.  I am tired of the name calling, the finger-pointing, the fear and loathing, the hate that continues to tear our country apart.

I am on vacation and I want to enjoy the peace and quiet of this Rocky Mountain town.  Now, the wife of my guest is up, watching the upsetting news. My husband gets up and joins them as they consume the unfolding horror and acrimonious commentary.  I ask if we can go out for breakfast (to get away from this nonstop blaming and fear campaign) which we thankfully do.  I tell them after breakfast I will walk home and do a little shopping.  I take my time, I schedule a massage.  I just want to escape.

Peaceful mountains of Breckenridge


Quiet streets of Breckenridge


The sky in Breckenridge


The chalk art left on the street in Breckenridge after the 4th of July celebration

Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me.







No comments:

Post a Comment