Monday, August 26, 2019

A Long Hike for a Beer and Burger



Having a cold beer and a bite to eat after walking the South Crest Trail.
The dog days of summer have been HOT, averaging 95 degrees Fahrenheit in the afternoon. Today it would hit 99 degrees.  I decided to take a hike in the mountains in the cool forest.  I drove to the top of Sandia Crest which is about 5000 ft. higher than my home in Albuquerque.  It was 11:00AM as I started walking the Crest Trail (No. 130) south toward the Tram.  I walked along the rough rocky trail looking west over the Rio Grande River Valley and city of Albuquerque. 



Checking out the wild flowers, I noticed most had dried up or gone to seed. The Red Elderberries were ripe and hanging heavy on their branches.


 The Harebells and Wood Sorrel Violets loved the shade and were still blooming.

Harebells

Wood Sorrel Violet

The  Oshá (Ligusticum porteri) had gone to seed.  It is a valuable medicinal plant.

The Ragweed Sage Artemesia franseroides was flowering and producing all that pollen to aggravate allergies.

The Crowfoot Buttercup  Ranunculus inamoenus was lifting it's pretty face up in the shade of the trees.

The Green Gentian had bloomed and gone to seed except for the early stage of Deers Ears waiting for the proper time to shoot up their Monument Plant stalk.

Cut leaf Groundsel were in their prime.

I walked 1.8 miles to the Sandia Tram.  I wanted to see the new restaurant, Ten 3, that had just opened last week.  The old High Finance Restaurant had been torn down years ago and finally its new replacement was ready for customers.  Sure, I could have taken the tram which takes about 15 minutes from Albuquerque, but I wanted to hike and save $20 (tram fare). I arrived just after noon and entered the bar which had about 30 customers.  I was immediately seated because I took a bar seat.  Otherwise, wait was about 10 minutes.  

The restaurant is clean and modern looking.  The bar tender was busy but responsive when I got his attention.  Views from the bar were to the east with a view of the top Sandia Ski Lift.  Restrooms are clean and accessible unlike the old High Fiance Restaurant which had toilets down a steep staircase.
   

The Main Dining Room opens at 5pm and is booked out two months at this time.  Food is pricey.  The views to the west feature lovely night time views of Albuquerque.

 I ordered a Burger with Fries (cost: $14), added cheddar cheese and green chile for $2 more.  I also ordered a Dos Equis draft for $6.  Bun wasn't very fresh, burger was ok but I really had to search to find the cheese and green chile.  I'd rate it a 3 out of 5.


I asked my bar mates to each side of me what they were having and how they rated their food.

The woman who ordered the New Mexico Cubano said it was dry, rated  it 3 out of 5.

GULF SHRIMP & BLUE CORN GRIT CAKE (chorizo, roasted peppers, manchego) $14

Rated 5 out of 5.

BUTTERMILK FRIED CHICKEN SANDWICH (spicy slaw, ciabatta roll) $14

Rated 3 out of 5

The views from the main dining room is the draw for the Ten 3 Restaurant (located at 10,300 ft.) 

Entry is simple with bright modern paintings.

Tram views south and east of the restaurant.

The outside deck.

Front entrance
 I began walking back about 1:30 PM.  It was only about 1.8 miles, but it was mostly uphill and it was hot.  My pulse was racing so I slowed down and stopped for frequent rests.  I took the Kiwanis Cabin Trail back.  Took me 2 hours because of my concern for my very high pulse.  (Note to self: Don't drink a beer and have a heavy meal before hiking at 10,000+ ft. elevation).
The view  of Ten 3 and the Sandia Tram from the Kiwanis Cabin Trail

Kiwanis Cabin

Walking back through the White Fir forest, I spotted a doe.

A Mule Deer doe along the trail
If you go by foot (not tram) to the Ten 3, here are the trails.  I hiked the Crest Trail No. 130 from the Crest House parking lot to the Ten 3.




No comments:

Post a Comment