Sunday, June 11, 2023

The Last Voyage (Torquay, England Part 3)

We sailed to England a day after leaving Ireland (see part 2).  To go ashore again required a tender so Ron declined to go and I went by myself into the town of Torquay (or Torbay). This was my very first time in England.  I found that Torquay played a key role in the D-Day Operation of 1944:

 

 
 
This coastal area of England is known as the "English Riviera" and is a busy summer place for the English with an amusement park and many small hotels and inns. 
 









 
 I walked around the seaport and then walked up a hill to view the area from above.  There were many beautiful flowers and gardens on my walk which delighted me.  A very peaceful place. 


















I did a bit of shopping for souvenirs and local fudge, then inquired where I might find some good fish and chips.  I was referred by several locals to the Saltwater Restaurant where I enjoyed delicious fish and chips and a local beer.  

 

I ran into Charlie and Sally downtown as I was admiring Mr. Brainwash art in the window of a gallery.

 

I got back on the tender and returned to the ship.  Ron was very happy to see me after so many hours away.  We set sail that night for Le Havre, France (See Part 4).



No comments:

Post a Comment