Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Delightful Fall Visit To Long Island, NY

Would you pick up these two hitch-hikers?

I flew to NYC for a conference and had a few days to visit my dear friend, Sister Patricia, who lives on Long Island, NY.  I arrived in Oakdale on the south shore of Long Island (near Islip) via the Long Island Rail Road.  It was Sunday, September 29th and the weather was beautiful.

I took the LIRR from Atlantic Terminal in Brooklyn to Oakdale. It took 3 hours with two transfers for only $7.25.


Sister Patricia











                                                                                                                                                                                    Sister Patricia was there to pick me up at the train station.  She had been diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease since I had last seen her in 2013 when she celebrated her Golden Jubilee as a nun in her order of The Daughters of Wisdom.  She's slowed down a bit and her hearing has deteriorated, but she looked great and is still driving and living by herself, enjoying an active retirement.


Lobster Roll from Claws Seafood Market and Grill












We got dinner at a local crab shack where I had a lobster roll and clam chowder and she enjoyed grilled scallops.  Anytime I can get fresh seafood, I will.  Living in Albuquerque doesn't afford many opportunities for fresh seafood.

We headed for the town beach in Islip to watch the sun set.  I can imagine that this beach is a cool destination for Long Islanders and tourists alike, seeking relief from the muggy heat that is typical for New York in the summer.  





The next day, Sister Pat wanted to take me to the local Arboretum, but we found it was closed on Monday.  So, we spent our most of our time talking. We watched a couple of DVD movies including The Hollers and Spartacus (1960).  I told her Spartacus starred my favorite actor.  I can't believe that Kirk Douglas is now 102 years old!

The carriage house of the former Bayard Cutting family estate
On Tuesday, October 1st, we visited the Bayard Cutting Arboretum along the Connetquot River. The river was overflowing its banks and full of gently swimming Canadian geese and swans. We slowly walked around the beautiful grounds, taking in the beautiful fall color and balmy weather.











The grounds were decorated with fun Woodstock-themed hippy scarecrows.




We had tea and cake in the cafe and outdoor deck of the Bayard Cutting mansion while watching the Monarch butterflies among the flowers and shrubs.












The kitchen circa. 1925 in the Bayard Cutting mansion

Finally, I had to say goodbye after too short a visit.  Patricia dropped me off at the LIRR Station and I headed to JFK airport for an evening flight on October 1st back to Albuquerque.  The non-stop flight on Jet Blue took a short 3 hours and I arrived in Albuquerque at 10PM. Thank you to Sister Patricia for such a wonderful visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment