Monday, September 9, 2019

Late Summer Days Delight and My Hooker's Orchid Cactus Bloomed Overnight

                                                                My Hooker's Orchid Cactus (Epiphyllum hookeri) bloomed overnight.

 I had two buds on my ugly, gangly succulent.  I walked out to my backyard about 6:45 AM to find that the first one had bloomed.

                                                                           The blossom will fade before late morning but it is truly stupendous in it's glory and I get excited each September as I await its ephemeral bloom.






 

At 7:30 AM, I joined my neighbor and walking partner, Eddy, as we did our usual 2 mile walk around our neighborhood.  The skies were lovely and the temperature in the mid 60's. 


The prairie dogs were busy gathering breakfast.  This one looks like she might be pregnant. 


They have very sharp claws to dig their burrows and many connecting tunnels.



The sunflowers are at their peak as they sway gently in the breeze.




 I love late summer in New Mexico.  It's State Fair time and in just 20 days the Balloon Fiesta will start.



New Mexico State Fair 

No comments:

Post a Comment